Hi Greg,
There was a big discussion on Mike Holt’s website, probably four web pages, of knowledgeable guys going back and forth about NEC 2005, 210.21[B],[1] and 210.21[B],[2] regarding the use of single and duplex receptacles on dedicated branch circuits and the maximum cord-and-plug connected load on receptacles.

When I decide to follow the equipment manufactures recommendations and run a dedicated, individual branch circuit, I don’t want to allow someone to plug anything else in that circuit by using a duplex receptacle.
NEC 210.21[B] seems to require a single receptacle with the same rating as the branch circuit, meaning a 15A single receptacle for 15amp circuit, 20A single receptacle for 20A circuit. So if I do decide to install a single receptacle under a sink for a cord and plug connected disposal, dishwasher or in a cabinet for an over the range microwave, as I normally would, seems that it would still have to comply with 406.11.
I don’t see any exception to the new 406.11, “In dwelling units, all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles shall be listed as tamper resistant.” but as I said, I haven’t received my new 2008 code book yet.

frown

Last edited by KJay; 12/22/07 01:14 PM. Reason: omission