ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by gfretwell - 05/12/24 01:44 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 139 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: 240V only in a home and NEC? gfretwell 15 minutes ago
I other than dwelling units your 6-15 would need GFCI protection in a kitchen.

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All single-phase receptacles
rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-
phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less,
100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall
have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel
14 1,460 Read More
Re: 240V only in a home and NEC? gfretwell 20 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Hutch
Interesting question DSK and it was one that first brought me to this forum when I was seconded to the USA from 240V 50Hz land. I had a fair bit of 240V workshop equipment plus that very British of requirements a 240V kettle, all 3kW of it! The question I asked at the time (in the very early noughties) was can a 240V (NEMA6-20) be installed in a US kitchen?

A great deal of debate ensued including issues around GFCI which, as has been pointed out above, can be rather expensive. The final outcome was that yes I could as it was for a dedicated piece of equipment and that the code requirements for GFCI in the kitchen only applied to 120V circuits.

A search might find the original post but it has surpassed my ability to do so.

It is true that 210.8 (A) still says

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-
ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in
210.8(A)(1) through (10) shall have ground-fault circuit-
interrupter protection for personnel.
14 1,460 Read More
Re: 240V only in a home and NEC? Hutch 3 hours ago
Interesting question DSK and it was one that first brought me to this forum when I was seconded to the USA from 240V 50Hz land. I had a fair bit of 240V workshop equipment plus that very British of requirements a 240V kettle, all 3kW of it! The question I asked at the time (in the very early noughties) was can a 240V (NEMA6-20) be installed in a US kitchen?

A great deal of debate ensued including issues around GFCI which, as has been pointed out above, can be rather expensive. The final outcome was that yes I could as it was for a dedicated piece of equipment and that the code requirements for GFCI in the kitchen only applied to 120V circuits.

A search might find the original post but it has surpassed my ability to do so.
14 1,460 Read More
Electricians revenge gfretwell 05/10/24 12:24 AM
We always see the plumbers screwing up our installation so this made me chuckle.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

It does prompt a few questions as an inspector.
Are those 2 LBs accessible?
I assume the top screws are missing 110.3.B

What is in that pipe and will that flange leak?
Is this a wet location?
Is that a fire rated wall?
0 60 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Safety at heights? gfretwell 04/23/24 07:03 PM
They must have done that for the house they are building up the road from me because they suddenly nailed up railings on the stairs and the wrap around deck. It is 14 feet to the dirt below. Roofers still work un-feathered and that roof is more like 22-23' above ground level at the eaves.
26 18,320 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? HotLine1 04/23/24 06:17 PM
Recently, there seems to be an issue with the single family home builders. Lack of railings at the staircase landings, lack of railings on the stairs, same for the 'balconies'. And 'temporary' stairs to the basements, and upper levels.

I told my inspectors to not enter, leave a red tag.

Wow, the phone calls. "Provide safe, compliant access, or no inspections."

Problem solved.
26 18,320 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? gfretwell 04/22/24 02:36 PM
The fall protection rules in the US are very strict and largely ignored from what I see. Violations around fall protection and training are also always at least 4 of the top 10 OSHA violations cited
I am looking at a roof crew on a 6:12 roof walking around unencumbered by any fall protection at all.
26 18,320 Read More
Re: Safety at heights? marcosandrew 04/22/24 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Folks,
I do a lot of work in my normal job that makes me work at heights, this could be anything from 3 metres (9') off the ground, up to 12 metres (36').
Just a question for you folks, if you guys have to do this sort of thing, how do you approach this?
Obviously there will be a harness, a safety line and some sort of lanyard/ fall arrest unit.
I'm not intrinsically sure what OSHA say about this sort of thing in the US, but I do know here, the person who is expected to do the work needs to have a work plan and a rescue plan, in case something goes wrong.
The floor is open for comments.................

Hey Trumpy,

Thank you for asking this type of question about safety and precautions!

When working at heights, safety is paramount. Following OSHA guidelines in the US https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/qlikview/publications/osha3021.pdf or local regulations elsewhere is crucial.
This includes using proper harnesses, safety lines, and fall arrest systems. Having a detailed work plan and a rescue plan in case of emergencies is essential.
Prioritizing regular equipment inspections, ongoing training, and communication among team members are also key factors in ensuring a safe working environment at heights. Additionally, being aware of weather conditions and potential hazards can further enhance safety measures

Thanks
(Marcos)
26 18,320 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia Jump to new posts
Re: Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative gfretwell 04/21/24 03:20 PM
That is also called candelabra or miniature. Amazon may have what you need

amazon

They also have the bulbs, I am guessing 12v.
Like a lot of things you can buy a couple dozen for the price of 2. You are paying for the package.
Now that you know what you are looking for Home Depot may have them.
1 549 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia Jump to new posts
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative a_gunslinger 04/21/24 04:21 AM
I have an older home with one of those lighted address plaques with the Better Living Thru Electricity emblems on it. The sockets and bulbs have seized. Was hoping to find some of these dual sockets (there are two dual sockets, total 4 small E10 bulbs). I am not finding any, but maybe Im calling them the wrong thing - or they simply do not exist anymore ;^)

Worse case, convert to LED? If I have to go that route, how can I attach old school low volt screw connected to modern LED stuff? Going to push to find the old ones but afrai they might be very specialty. Especially the way they are rivet connected from top. They are actually sort of collectible, with some cool history. Thought they would be easy to obtain (ebay, etc) but not so much.

All thoughts welcome, and appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1 549 Read More